Saturday, February 13, 2016

3MMRPC - Three Month Mountain Reduction and Painting Challenge

January Wrap-Up (2 weeks late!)

January included a new, self-imposed Three Month Mountain Reduction and Painting Challenge, or 3MMRPC.  In a nutshell, the goal is to refrain from any new miniatures purchases and reduce the Mountain (backlog) of unpainted minis.  This is usually a group effort with a few additional rules, running for 6 months.  My best painting time is typically between January and March, and I tend to have more success sticking to a plan in shorter timelines, anyway, so a 3-month version seemed to be in order.  Besides, if it works well and I can start another round or join a group April 1, that's easy enough.

While I fell short of my total goal for January in terms of raw numbers, I am okay with the totals: 10 minis finished and 7 new ones prepped & assembled, ready for basing.  I am also fairly happy with the results on paint jobs, although getting them to that point was slow - I would have cranked out more models if I wasn't so picky about color schemes.  For example, the male Gunsmith.  I must have painted half of him 3 or 4 times, trying to fix the clashing colors, lack of contrast, etc.  A job that should have taken an hour, maybe two for a decent tabletop standard, actually took about five hours.  And that's just one example.

As January came to a close, time pressed and a decision had to be made; work on Angelica and probably not finish, leaving 9 for the month and carrying her over to February, OR finish Kara in Gnosis armor for Sedition Wars and show 10 finished for the month.  Even though SW is pretty much a dead game, Kara had been sitting on my workbench for an eternity, about 85% finished, so I wrapped that up just because finishing 10 in one month sounded better.  Yes, I know, it's a silly conceit and I might have been better served getting a jump on February, but it still felt good to get one more Bench Queen completed and out of sight.

I will post more, soon, about February projects and goals.  For now, I hope you enjoy the January photo roundup.














No comments:

Post a Comment